Saturday, November 28, 2009

It's a funny thing about comin' home. Looks the same, smells the same, feels the same. You'll realize what's changed is you.

Today is the last day of Thanksgiving break, and I am more than thankful for that fact. Being away from home is hard for the most part, but coming home is even harder. I ran into people I no longer have the desire to speak to, and lost touch with people I never thought I would. It is a strange feeling when you lose the connection you had with people in school and those you saw every weekend. Maybe I am realizing this before most because I don't see everyone every other day, or run into them at the store, instead when I come home I am lucky to even see Jill anymore, and most of the time try to avoid get togethers. The older you get and find yourself, the more you realize how different all of us truly are, and that realization hit me full throttle this break. Sitting in silence at a table with friends you were with everyday in high school and no longer having anything in common, other than home, is such an awkward feeling. It doesn't make you sad, or angry, but it doesn't feel good either. I can honestly say that I miss my old friendships, but all of those friendships were between people that I no longer know, and now as we move through life we find new friendships that work with the people we are today. I don't mean to offend anyone with this blog by any means. I am simply "memoing" (new word) life as I see it now, and lately I've seen a lot of things change.
Tomorrow I head back to New York to finish up the fall semester, and I am more than ready!
Hopefully finals go smoothly and I get to remain in the Dramatic Writing program...if not then I plan to live in my parent's basement and never leave the house.
The next two weeks are going to be awfully busy especially with Christmas coming up. I can't wait to head into the city next weekend and see the tree! Everytime I am in the city I realize once again why I need to be there.
I wish everyone the best and hope you have safe journeys back to school!
- Olivia