Monday, November 9, 2009

Positively 4th Street...

This song has always makes me think. It's a good one, listen to it if you haven't.

Thanksgiving break is only two weeks away and the closer it gets the more apprehensive I feel about coming home. I suppose the best way to explain how I feel is that I miss home, meaning my house, family, and my few close friends, but I am not so sure I miss much else about "home". When I first got here I couldn't imagine staying here for four years. I couldn't see myself being away from the comfort of The Cove, but now that I am enjoying myself, and I appreciate the opportunity, I am finding that leaving The Cove/PA was one of the best things that could have happened to me, and maybe this is why I am feeling nervous about break. I have changed a lot here and am certainly not the same person I was in highschool/freshmen year and I have a feeling that several people won't be accepting of that, which is fine, I don't plan on seeing those folks. Regardless, it's still an odd feeling. Seeing people you grew up with and knowing that you no longer have anything in common other than old memories while also acknowledging that old memories are what made you change, is a little hard to come to terms with. I've heard from honorable sources, my momma and my old man, that this is just a part of "growing up." I agree with that, but I also feel that I have finally found a place where I simply just fit. I did not fit in in high school no matter how much people thought I did. In fact...I HATED high school. There was absolutely nothing going for me in high school. There was no drama club, no film classes, no one that could talk to me about anything I was interested in. I simply did not fit, so I bounced around looking for the closest thing to friends I could find, and that is ok. Thats what we all do in high school, but now that I've finally found my nitch I don't want to go back. I love it here and I am happy. I know where I am going in life and I'll do it on my own knowing that there are people who love and support me and they are the ones who always have.

"Now I sit on the porch and watch the lightning-bugs fly.But I can't see too good, I got tears in my eyes. I'm leaving tomorrow but I don't wanna go. I love you, my town, you'll always live in my soul." Our Town, Iris Dement